Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Made To Crave Day 18

Chapter 8 reflection questions

1. We all have at least one physical feature we wish we could change. for some it might be a facial feature like the shape of one's nose; for others it could be breast size or body shape. For Lysa, it's tankles. What is your tankle equivalent? What's your first memory of feeling embarrassed or ashamed by this aspect of your appearance? Are you now more or less at peace with this part of your body or is it still a source of painful dissatisfaction?
My fatness has always been what bothers me the most. I have been overweight since my early teens so it's what I always remember being like. I'm more at peace then I was before but still working on it. 

2. When you consider previous efforts to modify your eating habits, what experiences or accomplishments provided your greatest motivation to keep going? Did those motivations ever backfire or become de motivators?
Other peoples expectations of me to do it. Becoming smaller and more attractive. Yes! because neither of them was concrete enough to help me give up food for the long haul. The other thing about doing it for others is when they stop giving you the comments you want it works well to gain and then they will notice you again! 

3. As you review each question and reflect back on your eating over the past week, how would you assess your progress? Are there other questions you would like to add to the list
  • Did I overeat this week on any day? Not according to my plan
  • Did I move more and exercise regularly? YES!
  • Do I feel lighter than I did at this time last week? No
  • Did I eat is secret or out of anger or frustration? No
  • Did I feel that at any time, I ran to food instead of God? Yes
  • Before I hopped on the scale, did I think I'd had a successful, God-pleasing week? Yes
4. Lysa describes how it's possible to park our brains in a place of dissatisfaction about our bodies or to accept our bodies and thank God for making us just as we are. Place and X on the continuum below to describe your current feelings about your body.

_________________________________________X__________________
My body is cursed with flaws.                                   My body is a good gift.

Imagine for a moment that the placment of the X above was made not by you but by someone you love - a child, a friend, a sister. How would the placement of the X make you feel? What would you want to say to this person? How might you pray for them? Are these things you could say to yourself, pray for yourself?
Don't define yourself by those things. You are created perfectly! You have a body that is so strong and able to do so many things! Don't undermine that because you think one thing could change. Remember you were created to God, he knit you together in your mothers womb he made you just the way he wanted  you. Are you saying God made a mistake? I would pray that they would see who they truly are, a creation of God made by him. And that they would realize that it doesn't matter is their nose is big, they are pasty, they have kankles God knew what he was doing when he made them and he doesn't made mistakes. And that they are loved just the way they are. I need to tell myself these things.

5. Lysa describes the freedom and redemption she felt when she discovered the benefits of her larger ankles. Have you ever thought about your physical flaws from this perspective? What might be the hidden benefits to the physical features you wish you did not have?
Because my weight has always been my biggest issue physically it's hard for me to think of it as something good. But I guess I could say I could have gotten into more trouble as a skinny. Maybe started dating and making poor decisions there. Or maybe I would have put more emphasis on myself and how I look and to keep in shape and wouldn't have learned the importance of serving others. 

6. If someone offered to grant you one of the following wishes, which one would you choose? How do you imagine your life might change as a result of either choice?
The second one hands down. I know that is I don't get to a place where I'm good with my body flaws and all I will just find something else I don't like when my weight is where it should be. 
  • Instant and painless cosmetic surgery to change one thing about your physical appearance.
  • A permanent reorientation of how you think and feel about your body that would enable you to say wholeheartedly, "I've found my beautiful. And I like my beautiful."

Victories:
1. My exercises water and food were on target! 

Prayer:
Lord, I thank you for your love. I thank you that you made me as you wanted me and that even with my imperfections I was made perfect and uniquie. I pray that I would see myself as your creation, your child and not as the girl who needs to lose 70 pounds. Lord I thank you that you have given me this struggle. Lord, I know you allow things to happen at the right time and I thank you that you never make mistakes. Lord, O may never know why you allowed me to be fat for so long before you changed my heart but Lord I know there were/are reasons and for your grace I thank you. Lord. I pray today that you would give me strength to say yes and no and to know what is beneficial and what isn't. Lord, I pray that today you would show me yourself and reveal to me more of myself. Thank you Jesus for the success I have been given in this process. Amen

Verse of the day:
For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

Psalm 139:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment